Walter Mazzarri tells Watford to get angry against Leicester

09:40
Watford head coach Walter Mazzarri has called on his players to show their anger this weekend after they were beaten 6-1 by Liverpool in their last match.

Walter Mazzarri wants his Watford side to get "angry" when they play Leicester on Saturday.

The Hornets went into the international break in eighth place but smarting from a 6-1 defeat at Liverpool, and their manager is not yet over that Anfield thumping.

Mazzarri's friend Claudio Ranieri brings his champions to Vicarage Road this weekend, but the Watford boss is in no mood to roll out the welcome mat.

"I hope they are as angry as me," Mazzarri said at his pre-match press conference. "If the team is hungry, as I am, then we will have a very important team in terms of performance.

"If they are as angry as me at the moment, then it will be a good performance."

Mazzarri convened his squad on Wednesday and made it clear he will not accept a repeat of their Anfield showing.

Watford were beaten 6-1 at Liverpool before the international break
Watford were beaten 6-1 at Liverpool before the international break

"Unfortunately the loss to Liverpool came just before the break and the only chance I had to see the complete squad was yesterday," he said. "I've spoken with them and I can guarantee the Leicester game will be completely different.

"I believe my players remain with us but I told them that there are lessons to be learned. I am sure they have understood what was said."

Leicester have struggled to hit the heights of last season's performances, in the Premier League at least, but Mazzarri says the "miracle" Ranieri performed is not forgotten.

He said: "What happened last year was a football miracle, in my opinion, and it's very difficult to maintain the same. I think Claudio knows this also.

Heurelho Gomes leaves the pitch following an injury against Liverpool
Heurelho Gomes leaves the pitch following an injury against Liverpool

"He's a person I consider a friend and respect very much. He's a great manager and great person and I have always respected him on and off the pitch.

"I am not the kind of manager that has relationships with other managers. It's always purely professional. But with Ranieri its always more confidential."

Goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes, who suffered a knee injury at Liverpool, is expected to be fit along with Sebastian Prodl and Stefano Okaka, but Christian Kabasele and Craig Cathcart are out.

Upgrade to Sky Sports now to watch Man Utd v Arsenal this Saturday and get the first six months half price!

Source : skysports[dot]com

Share this

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »