Nahki Wells' 10 to tackle: Huddersfield aspirations, Bradford promotion and Man Utd discussed

15:17
Huddersfield Town striker Nahki Wells takes on
Huddersfield Town striker Nahki Wells takes on '10 to tackle'

Nahki Wells joined the EFL Weekly Podcast take on '10 to tackle', and discussed Huddersfield's aspirations and Bradford promotion.

The Bermuda international has played a key role in the Terriers' early push for promotion, scoring three goals in 13 Sky Bet Championship appearances.

Ahead of Saturday's trip to Fulham, the 26-year-old joined podcast host David Prutton to discuss 10 wide-ranging topics...

What do your team-mates call you?

Nak or Naa-ki, as the English pronounce my name. It's really 'Niki'.

What's the best thing about playing for Huddersfield?

The continuity, I guess. The togetherness we have as a side at this particular moment is something we're all really enjoying. We're a real team and that's why we are where we are.

Highlights of the Sky Bet Championship match between Huddersfield and Derby

Cleverest team-mate?

I'm going to say Mark Hudson because he's the captain and he'll probably kill me if I didn't. He carries himself quite well, he's got great knowledge so if he isn't the most intelligent he's certainly up there.

Who's the dimmest?

Sean Scannell and Phil Billing, those two would be up there on the scale of who's the least intelligent. They are both quite thick and they know they, especially Sean, he doesn't try to hide the fact.

Toughest opponent so far this season?

Lewis Dunk. As an individual at centre-back I have to put him in the top two in the league. I've only played a few minutes against him this season but I have played against him prior and I've had tough run-ins with him.

Wells recalls tough battle for Brighton defender Dunk
Wells recalls tough battle for Brighton defender Dunk

What's your squad number and is there any significance to it?

My squad number is 21. I was given it at Bradford and it was the start of something special. I've carried that on and it's almost like a trademark, I don't feel the need to have 9 or 10. I like 21 so I'm going to stick with that.

What's your best moment in football so far?

Probably getting promoted with Bradford. I know it was only out of League Two but it was a great achievement and showed me how much that could do for a side in terms of bringing you together so I'm hoping for something similar at Huddersfield. One can only imagine what it would feel like being promoted to the Premier League.

Wells gained promotion to League One with Bradford in 2012/13
Wells gained promotion to League One with Bradford in 2012/13

And your worst moment?

I haven't had too many disappointment but a real dark moment on a personal level was when I missed two penalties in one game against Fulham and we lost 1-0.

What team do you support?

Manchester United. Through my younger days United had a big influence on Bermuda and I just grew to support them. My big brother was a United supporter and it just goes to show how big a club they are around the world. I still keep up to date with them and it still hurts when they lose so, yes, United are my team.

Wells admits he is a boyhood Manchester United fan
Wells admits he is a boyhood Manchester United fan

What was your initiation song? Did you have to get up in front of the lads?

Yes, that's what you have to do at Huddersfield. I sang R Kelly - 'I Believe I Can Fly'. It's got to be up there with one of my worst performances ever but it had to be done and I go through it.

And finally, where will Huddersfield finish in the Championship this season?

I like to think we can defy the odds. I'm still backing us to get promoted and I believe we can finish top. We have the team spirit. We might not have the team other clubs do but we compensate with a great team ethic and a great understanding of what it takes to win football matches. So I can see us finishing between first and sixth and gaining promotion, without a shadow of the doubt.

Download more EFL Weekly podcasts and subscribe via iTunes.

Source : skysports[dot]com

Share this

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »